Monday, May 24, 2010

I really want to get into programming!?

I'm taking a programming class at my high school, and I'm pretty sure I found my future career. First semester, we learned QuickBasic, and in the second semester, we are learning Visual Basic. I really want to study some other languages like C#, C++, or Java, but I have a few questions:





1) Which language would be the best to learn on my own first?





2) There have to be other methods other than Microsoft Visual Studio for making programs. Are these called compilers? If not, what are they called? Which ones would you recommend that I use?





3) If I were to buy a book on Visual C# or Visual C++, would the free Express Editions still be able to carry out the tasks that the books will teach you?

I really want to get into programming!?
The very EASIEST language to learn first is VB in the .NET framework.





You can actually down load a free copy of Visual Studio Express from Microsoft's website. And yes, they are complete. You can write any program in the Express editions that you could write in the more expensive purchased versions of Visual Studio.





The best books that I, personally, would recommend, are the series entitled "Teach Yourself --- in 21 Days" and "Teach Yourself --- in 24 Hours" - with 21 or 24 lessons (chapters) respectively. (You replace the "---" with the name of the programming language you want to learn.) These books are put out by SAMS, and any Barnes %26amp; Nobles will carry them.





I say to you, good luck, and have fun :-) I think programming is GREAT fun!
Reply:Learn C/C++ Most languages are built off of what this language did. Then you can either move on to C# or Java.





There are other compliers but Microsoft is probably the biggest driving force behind teaching langagues and so thats why you use that product.


Java is done differently then through Microsoft because its more open source.


Borderland did have some C/C++ compliers but they just didn't compare to Microsoft.





Probably most things the any book would have on C++ or C# would work with the free edition. you might miss something things, but that would be more on Visual Studio then it is in learning C#.


No comments:

Post a Comment