Saturday, May 22, 2010

Should I learn C Sharp?

I am a trader who programs to get by, I am not a programmer by trade. I am very familiar with Visual Basic Version 6 and VBA. I have just installed Visual Studio 2005. Should I start leaning and coding in C# instead or should I stick to VB.NET? I need a good reason why for 10 points.

Should I learn C Sharp?
Well you have a background in VB6, it means that you are familiar with VB Syntax, signatures and many language constructs. I suggest that you should stick to VB.NET because its better to continue syntax that you already know rather than learning entirely new thing C#.NET.





Moreover, VB.NET have the same powers that C# has, even simpler than C#, while having same support from Microsoft that C# does enjoy.





Saif Ullah





http://www.kasamba.com/Saif-Ullah
Reply:for me, coming from a vb 6 background, trying to learn vb.net was a disaster. learning C# however, was cake walk. The syntax is much simpler in C# than vb.net as vb.net is annoyingly wordy.





C# may look a little different, but its easier in my opionion that vb.net.





a sample:


Private Function Foo() As Integer


Dim myVar As Integer


'some comment


Foo = 1 'i'm not even sure if thats right.. lol


End Function





is this in C#


private int Foo()


{


int MyVar;


//some comment


return 1;


}








once you get the basic sructure of C# down (took me a day of messing with it) your good to go. It might take you a little bit to get a hang of, but learning C# in my opinion is a much better idea

customer survey

No comments:

Post a Comment